Debates over narcissism, and sensible self-interest.

The blog is to "share my insights in the continuous journey of self-improvement". This is, as we've implied, an self-focused venture. One specific complaint my brain gives me is that this is narcissistic. Let's address this.

First, what is narcissism? Self obsession. What is obsession? An 'unhealthy' fixation on something. What is unhealthy? A physical / emotional / mental state that is worse, because of a repairable cause, than the normal state. These are my definitions, and the ones debated.

First, I would contest that it is unhealthy. The focus on myself is a NECESSARY PRECONDITION to a BETTER STATE. Although I could NOT FOCUS, this would WEAKEN the effort. It would be easier to make an argument that my CURRENT state is unhealthy, with enough understanding, gained through the focus on myself, I can IMPROVE this state. The current state is as a surgeon is to a body, trying to figure out how to repair it. It makes no sense to consider this narcissistic, as my health is not being negatively affected, on any of the axii, by the current self-focus.

A new definition. Narcissism is the admiration of the self to an excessive degree. Excessive, being what is socially considered to be excessive. That is completely off point. I do not hold great love of myself.

I hold quite little. This is because I do not believe I am living up to my potential. I waste my time with triviality and addictions. I do not impress myself with my independence, clarity, or remarkable ability. I hold love of a very certain thing, and that is my ability to improve past my currently mediocre state, into something much greater. Though I may simply be potential, with the right direction, the right end, it will be much more.

Another definition. Self focus to an unhealthy degree. That's the same definition. Clearly, you do not understand what I have said. Well, I'll state it again to you. The self focus can be considered healthy, in what I do. If my efforts succeed, mental, emotional, and physical health will improve. If I do not, they will not. In truth, the lack of this focus is unhealthier, because I clearly benefit more by this focus. Therefore, I do not seem to be narcissistic by your definitions. (And by the greek legends. I'm not dying by a lake to admire myself.)

But what about the good in self-focus, or as I'll put it, self-interest? I think that it's reasonable to be thinking of yourself first, and oftentimes that's everybody's interest as well as yours. But even if it is not, then why should you sublimate yourself in favor of somebody else's preference? Isn't that what slaves do? Do women want a man who simply complies? Are creatures in nature known for their charitable demeanor? Does a lack of self-interest pose an evolutionary advantage? (caveat; not referring to a deference to a tribe, the tribe is the self-interest, because without it he would obviously be killed)

Do people admire a man who simply complies? Was Henry Ford known for his compliance, was Napoleon known for his deference, was Patton known for his supplicability, was Plato known for his compromise? No, no, no, no. They thought of themselves, or their country, an abstracted self, first. And that is right, and healthy. So if self-interest is NOT an evil, and often is admirable, a trait of strength and power, then we both have good and no bad in the self-interest department. It is best to work for yourself, rather than for those who tend not to appreciate your help.

Perhaps you may say, "But the country is you! Be charitable for they are part of this abstract body!". All things are together, until they fall apart from disunity. Does this body, the body of the USA look like a unified, happy little canvas, dancing together? Of course not. It is 3, 4, 5, 6 nations, in their infancy, in the increasingly divided corpse of their predecessor. And if this is no self, than I must look inward.

Let's make a little rule. If I am satisfied by a collective body, and believe it represents my interests well, then I will consider it my self, and subject to the self-interest that is right to have. By that standards, I can't even consider my whole family! Oh well. I hope this has cleared up to myself some realities in place of convenient whining. Writing always seems to make life a bit clearer.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Minimizing self focus for readability, in a self-focused blog.

How do I write, and how do I write well?

MindForger advanced facts